Welcome to Equinor Storage Deutschland
Equinor Storage Deutschland GmbH is a 100% subsidiary of Equinor Deutschland GmbH.
Our core business is marketing storage services and operating the gas storage facility Etzel Gas-Lager near Wilhelmshaven, which has a total storage capacity of approximately 1,200 million cubic metres of natural gas. Our office is located in Friedeburg-Etzel.
Nm3 per hour
Firm withdrawal capacity
Working gas capacity
Nm3 per hour
Firm injection capacity
For the latest information on maintenance, please click the button below. You can also subscribe to our RSS feed.Maintenance information / RSS feed subscription
About the storage facility: Etzel Gas-Lager
The facility at Etzel near Friedeburg consists of 19 salt caverns in which natural gas is stored at high pressure at over a thousand metres below the earth’s surface.
The caverns are cylindrical cavities that have been leached out in the underground salt formation. They are oil and gas-tight. The average cavern is around 620 metres deep, 35 metes in diameter, and has a geometric volume of around 580,000 cubic metres.
In the past, natural gas storage facilities have predominantly been used to compensate for seasonal fluctuations in demand. Today, however, they are also used as a flexible means of optimising supply, as a reserve in the event of supply problems, and on an hourly basis to counterbalance surpluses and shortfalls.
Equinor Storage Deutschland is certified according to ISO 50 001:2018 standard.
Average cavern depth
Capacities and inventory
Working gas capacity and firm injection and withdrawal capacity are currently fully booked. Equinor Storage Deutschland has the following capacity levels at the Etzel plant:
|Working gas capacity||191.6 Million Nm3|
|Firm injection capacity (curve)||169,501 Nm3 per hour|
|Total maximum injection capacity of the storage (Etzel Gas-Lager)||740,000 Nm3 per hour|
|Firm withdrawal capacity (curve)||312,840 Nm3 per hour|
|Total maximum withdrawal capacity of the storage (Etzel Gas-Lager)||1,320,000 Nm3 per hour|
Please find current and historical data regarding storage movements and storage filling level under Gas Infrastructure Europa / Maps & Data / AGSI+ Transparency Platform.
How to make an application for storage
To submit a request for storage, please read the guidelines below before submitting your request.
The published available capacities of Equinor Storage Deutschland GmbH may not be exceeded.
Gas intended for storage must conform to the standards laid down in the DVGW (German Technical and Scientific Association for Gas and Water) Code of Practice G 260, 2nd Family Gases (DVGW-Arbeitsblatt G 260, 2. Gasfamilie).
Terms and conditions
When processing your request, Equinor Storage Deutschland will need to check your credit rating. You are requested to provide us with the necessary information (business reports) as promptly as possible. Additionally, our General Terms and Conditions apply (available under Downloads).
For us to be able to process your request it must contain, please send an e-mail to email@example.com including the information below.
- Volume of working gas in m³
- Entry capacity in m³/h
- Exit capacity in m³/h
- Length of time (from: day, month, year to: day, month, year)
- Street name and number
- Postcode and Town
- Contact person
- E-mail address
- Telephone number
We ensure full transparency on our storage business operations. Please see the links and downloads below for more information about applicable laws, contracts and regulations.
- Gleichbehandlungsbericht Equinor Storage 2021 (PDF)
- Gleichbehandlungsbericht Equinor Storage 2020 (PDF)
- Gleichbehandlungsbericht Equinor Storage 2019 (PDF)
- Gleichbehandlungsbericht Equinor Storage 2018 (PDF)
- Gleichbehandlungsbericht SDS_2017 (PDF)
- Gleichbehandlungsbericht SDS_2016 (PDF)
- Gleichbehandlungsbericht SDS_2015 (PDF)
- 20150508 Statoil GSE transparency template_EN (PDF)
- EDS Muster Speichervertrag, Version 1, gültig ab 5.12.2014 (PDF)
- EDS Storage Contract template, Version 1, valid as of 5.12.2014 (PDF)
- EDS Allgemeine Geschäftsbedingungen - Annex A, Version 1.1, gültig ab 12.01.2015 (PDF)
- EDS General Terms and Condition - Annex A, Version 1.1, valid as of 12.01.2015 (PDF)
- EDS Speicherspezifikationen - Annex B, Version 1, gültig ab 5.12.2014 (PDF)
- EDS Storage Specifications - Annex B, Version 1, valid as of 5.12.2014 (PDF)
- EDS Operational Manual - Annex C, Version 1, valid as of 5.12.2014 (PDF)
- EDS Kontakt Details - Annex D, Version 1, gültig ab 5.12.2014 (PDF)
- EDS Contact Details - Annex D, Version 1, valid as of 5.12.2014 (PDF)
- Ethics code of conduct (PDF)
Contacting Equinor Storage Deutschland
In case of any questions regarding our storage business, please send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org